Orisons in the dark
Debut poetry collection, forthcoming in late 2022
I am a bilingual poet. I use my parents’ first names – Padma-Uday – as my second name for literary writing.
I write poems in English and the language of my birth, Hindi. I have been writing poems since I was 9. I first published my poem in a literary journal in 2010. After a decade of writing for newspapers and leading teams for e-commerce companies, I got back to writing poetry again in 2020. I was featured among 40 Indian poets in The Punch magazine Special Poetry Issue, Jan 2022. I am also featured as one of the 90 writers and illustrators from Ireland in the Breaking Ground Ireland booklet 2022.
I have derived great value from reading poetry of great poets, and some of my favourites are Louise Glück, Elizabeth Bishop, Maya Angelou, Mahadevi Verma, Arundhati Subramanian, Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, Pablo Neruda, Sylvia Plath, Amrita Pritam, Ramdhari Singh Dinkar, TS Eliot, Michael Ondaatje, Mary Oliver, Erica Jong, Audre Lourde, Nikki Giovanni, and Lola Ridge.
I studied English literature in my undergraduate years, before training as a business historian. I hold MSc in Economic History from London School of Economics and Political Science. Originally from India, I live in the UK.
Poem in CAP Anthology ‘Threshold’
Writing Grants & Projects :
- Poems in Abridged Anthology, May 2022
- Part of Breaking Ground Ireland booklet 2022 on writers and illustrators from Ireland.
- Poem in ‘Threshold’, annual anthology of poetry by CAP.
- Doire Press mentoring programme, March 2022.
- IWC Course Bursary, funded by the Arts Council of Northern Ireland. January, 2022.
- IWC writing grant, funded by Arts Council, Ireland. January 2022.
- Grant from Arts Council Ireland, October 2021.
- Axis Mundi, A Video Poem. 05:46-06:12 A video poem project funded by the Arts Council of Ireland. More details
Featured among writers/illustrators from Ireland, April 2022
Journals I have published in